Cabbage Noodle Soup
If there were a Bakers & Best recipe vault this soup would almost certainly be in it. I made this about three months ago (it was the second week of a football season that has now mercifully ended) and every time I intended to post it some other recipe jumped in its place. I got caught up in fall recipes for a while and this soup functions as a great fall or winter meal.
I’ve mentioned a few times the windfall of cabbage we had this year with our CSA and two weeks ago posted another one of the many recipes we made with it. We actually made this soup twice since we went through the first batch so quickly. It is a quick, simple, and delicious meal. I was worried about the cabbage and pasta not making for a substantial enough dish but that was never an issue.
The second time around I used a purple cabbage which gave it a bit of a funny color though it tasted just as good. It sort of ended up the color of Bantha milk in Star Wars. Like many other soups is this a great way to use up vegetables that you have in your fridge and are looking to use up. This has carrots, celery, onions, and cabbage, but it has pretty basic flavors and is receptive to additions. I came back from being out of town for Thanksgiving and it was 60 degrees here so we will probably wait a little bit before defrosting some of this.
However today my wife and I are defrosting some of our wedding cake since it is our anniversary! We’ve been together 7 years today and in a few weeks will have been married 6 months. It seemed unfair that after getting married we’re supposed to start back at 0 for counting our anniversary. Why can’t we just keep track of both! We’ll keep the rest of the cake in the freezer and wait until next summer to finish it off. In the meantime, enjoy this soup!
- 6 carrots, washed, peeled, and cut into coins
- ½ head small green cabbage, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 onions, diced
- 4 C chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 C water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 box pasta (type is your choice)
- Cook chosen pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Pour olive oil in a large soup pot and turn stove to medium-high heat. When hot add celery, onions, and carrots. Cook for 5-10 minutes until they have softened a bit.
- Add the broth and water to the vegetables and add in spices and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Add in cooked pasta and serve.